La Palma has also been described as a miniature continent. The island shows a thousand facets, not only during the day, but also at night. Every night, the sky above the small Canarian Island turns into a glittering starry firmament.
We all know the Milky Way, but have you ever seen it with your naked eye? The spangled sky of La Palma is truly impressive … you shouldn’t miss this experience. On the island’s highest mountain, the Roque de los Muchachos (2.426 m), this display of nature turns into a true spectacle, for here, the stars seem to be within the viewer’s grasp.
Let us tell you why.
5 reasons why La Palma has one of the most beautiful starry skies of the world
1. Law against light pollution Yes, this law really exists and regulates the luminous intensity and the alignment of exterior lighting. The darker the night, the better we can see the spangled sky.
2. The sky is clear and pure The sky above La Palma is amongst the clearest and purest of the world and offers a clear view, almost like in space.
3. Flyover ban It is illegal to fly over the island with passenger planes which protects the sky from being polluted.
4. Science & Scientists On the Roque de los Muchachos, one of the world’s largest telescope arrays is located. Many scientific facilities are located on La Palma because of the uniqueness of its spangled sky. Even the prominent scientist Stephen Hawking came to look at it a few years ago.
5. Almost no industry La Palma has no industry to speak of and no big cities. Here, the small island amidst the Atlantic Ocean scores doubly.